Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Thing 13 Productivity Tools

Exploring this wide range of tools was instructive and fun. With its endless options (weather, YouTube, music, art...), setting up a homepage on Google was the most enjoyable. The first pass took just a couple minutes, and I already had more information on the page than I'd be likely to use regularly. After some deletions, I saved the page and will try using it for a while to see whether it is useful. Will it be a permanent homepage? Time will tell.

When I got to the calendars, I wanted to try Kiko because the evaluation in Wired was so favorable, but it would not load. I noticed comments from others who had the same experience.

The project management tools (Basecamp, Zoho Projects) looked appealing. I wish I had known about them a couple months ago when I was searching for a simple, clear project management template to track outreach efforts at the library. Though I did not sign up for an account, I'll keep these tools in mind for future projects. I also liked Backpack which would be used to keep standard answers to common questions and talking points about library projects in a single spot, accessible to everyone on staff.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Discovering tools is great, however, at first, it may be hard to believe that people created a tool that can actually help you become more productive. Do you know that there are tools that can build project plans for you out of your email messages? I was astonished then I heard about that.

Rahul Sethi said...

You might also want to check out Deskaway as a Project Management Tool. It's neat, clutter free, cheap (free version is better than Basecamp and Zoho) - paid version is cheaper as well. I strongly recommend it!

Here's some other tools you might like:
Browse through SlideShows made by others with SlideShare - http://www.slideshare.net
You may also like scribbd - the youtube for pdf docs.

Here you will get top tools on the internet - http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/Directory/index.html

Interesting to hear your thoughts about the utility of the internet..