Monday, August 4, 2008

Thing 12 Social Media Sites

I've noticed icons for social media sites on various websites, idly wondered what they meant, and moved on. Now I know what they are and how the sites work. I explored each one, noting that the story about Morgan Freeman's accident appeared among the most popular on all four, Digg, Newsvine, Reddit, and Mixx. Stephanie Meyer's Breaking Dawn is big news at my library this week, so I expected to find lots of articles. Turns out Mixx had a bunch, Reddit and Digg had none, and Newsvine was still searching when I gave up.

Always drawn to the odd story and quirky news items, I was interested to read about the Ohio inmate suing the state on the grounds that he is too fat for execution. He contends that the lethal injection drugs would not work properly because of his weight. Now there's a story I'd like to follow. Today the Ohio Attorney General's Office had no comment as they had not yet seen the suit.

I finished my tour by sharing a New York Times article via delicious. I doubt that I will spend much time on these sites. RSS feeds from sites I know will be of interest have a bigger claim on my time.

No comments: