Friday, August 1, 2008

Thing 11 Tagging and Delicious

News flash! Forget about the odd punctuation you learned to find del.icio.us on the web. Just yesterday, 7/31/08, the new address is simply delicious.com. According to the What's New page, the plethora of variations on the earlier version finally persuaded the designers to remove punctuation from the name entirely, a good move, I think.

Being able to bookmark sites and access them from any computer is a fine feature, one that is attractive enough to persuade me to try it. With one exception, the library applications I looked seemed OK but not great. The exception: San Mateo Public Library which bundles tags within Dewey ranges, allowing the user to search for tags or by Dewey.

On my own delicious account, I bookmarked travel sites for Hangzhou, China. One of them was bookmarked by 35 other people, some of whom had added notes. Seems like clutter to me though I can imagine using delicious as a tool for environmental scanning. Just knowing which sites have been bookmarked by the most people could indicate issues and topics of timely and broad interest.

No comments: