Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thing 22 What did I learn today?

Keeping current has been a challenge for librarians for as long as I have worked in libraries. I'm willing to bet it has been a challenge for as long as libraries have existed. How could it be otherwise when the role of libraries is broad, the scope of knowledge is vast, the search is engaging, the service ethic is strong? Really who could ask for more?

Surely keeping up, in the sense of always being in a 'caught up' state, is an elusive, probably unattainable goal. Keeping up in the sense of remainining interested, curious, and willing to explore new ideas does seem possible and enjoyable, too. I'm never on the bleeding edge of change, but I try to work at staying somewhere within sight of the leading edge.

Some of the 23 Things will help me, especially RSS feeds. I often listen to Future Tense, an MPR program on technology issues, and find it useful. Newspaper columns on new technology are another helpful source of information. Talking with people on the bleeding edge helps, too. For me, the most important thing is to remind myself that the daily routine will take as much time as I allow it and that I need to carve out at least a little time to scan the horizon for new ideas and perspectives.

No comments: